Husbandry & EnterpriseYou’ll be immersed on the livestock side of Lakeland’s Student-Managed Farm when you take animal science technology.
Your hands-on training in animal husbandry and livestock enterprise management will blend with knowledge you’ll acquire about food industry regulations and environmental issues. End result: you’ll be an integral part of maintaining health and safety for both livestock and humans.
Your live-the-learning experience includes learning:
- Practical skills to manage feeding and health of livestock
- Proper and safe handling of beef and dairy cattle and sheep
- How to artificially inseminate cattle and assist with calving and lambing.
- Additional theory about maintaining business records of an agricultural operation.
- How to assess key economic principles to market and develop business plans
- How to create an environmental farm plan for your family operation.
When applying to Animal Science Technology you will have the option to choose one of our 3 majors;
Beef – focus your skills in this major towards beef production, cow-calf and feedlot
Dairy - focus your diploma towards the dairy industry on whether you want to return to the family dairy or work within the dairy industry
Livestock – this is a mix of electives to give you a more rounded look at livestock operations including choices from beef, sheep and or dairy