Student-Managed Farm (SMF) - Livestock Research SMF
- building a project base to carry forward into the future years
- managing the herd
- keeping hybrid vigour in our genetics
There are nine leadership positions in this unit:
- a general manager
- a finance manager
- a nutritionist
- a public relations manager
- a range and forage manager
- a health manager
- a sustainability and stewardship manager
- a production records manager
- a secretary.
2016-17 was the first year for the Student-Managed Farm (SMF) livestock research unit.
During the first year, the team expanded their herd from 41 to 91 head. The team also looked for a new herd sire to improve the herd’s hybrid vigour.
Its first calf crop hit the ground in the spring of 2017.