Why a specific program
- Prohibited noxious weeds must be destroyed
- Noxious weeds need to be controlled.
A weed inspector, often the agricultural fieldman, surveys their muncipality to see if there are outbreaks of a particular weed.
If a noxious weed or a prohibited noxious weed is found on someone's property, they are notified.
In the past, acreage owners had only 3 options to deal with these weeds:
- Use a domestic class herbicide from a garden centre you apply yourself.
- Use one of a few commercial class herbicides. These are the same product as domestic class, but in larger containers you buy from a commercial pesticide seller. These herbicides are for specific weed control in turf, non-cropland areas, shelterbelts and shrub beds.
- Hire a custom pesticide service to apply herbicides for you
The acreage owner program is another option. You work with your municipality to control problem weeds.
Started as a pilot project, the program is now available in participating municipalities.