Connecting with at risk youth and childrenLearn how to support at risk youth and children to make positive life changes. Lakeland's CYC program teaches you to work with young people and their families.
Your knowledge and skills will include:
- human development and strategies needed to support life transitions
- observing, reporting and assessing skills in case management situations
- building therapeutic relationships
- supporting family interventions
- recognizing symptoms of abuse & addiction
- working with children and youth in diverse settings
- help children and youth who have behavioural or learning difficulties
- building resiliency
- encouraging positive choices
- Focus on strength base as a positive framework
Lakeland provides real world learning with 4 practicum placements in your 2 year program. During each practicum you'll work at an agency 5 days a week for 4 weeks.
Experience a different culture and perspective with our international practicum option. To date our students have gone to Australia (2010), Dominican Republic (2012) and Hawaii (2014) and 2016. Hawaii is also the destination in 2018..
One of your courses will also give you the opportunity to explore animal assisted therapy - the only course in Canada with this option.