Services & Facilities

Pesticide Applicator Certification

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are the answers to some of the questions we get most often. If your question isn't answered here, please contact us:.
call 1 866 853 8646 or direct in Vermilion at 780 853 8646 
I lost my certificate, how can I get a new one?
To have a new certificate issued you will need to submit a completed application for a replacement certificate. This application must be mailed in, we can't process a faxed or emailed copy.  Please be advised that there is a fee for a replacement certificate.
My old employer refuses to give me my certificate, can they do that?
No.  Certificates are the property of the person they were issued to, regardless of who may have paid for it. 
I failed the exam, what do I do now?
Completion of the homestudy material is required, then phone 1 866 853 8646 to schedule a re-write.  It will take at least 10 business days to process the exam, so make sure to call at least 10 business days before you would like to write.

If you have failed the exam twice, you will have to wait 6 months before writing again.  The only exception to this is if you are able to take 8 hours of hands on training with someone who has held the class of certificate that you are earning for 5 years or longer or attend a training tutorial.  That applicator can submit a letter to our office verifying that they trained you, and then you can phone in to schedule another exam.  If you fail a third time, you must wait 6 months before writing again.
Once I pass the exam what else do I have to do for my business?
Alberta Environment requires that you register your business with them.  The Service Registration application can be downloaded from the AB website.
Where can I find out how many credits I have?
Recertification credits are managed at Lakeland College - Pesticides, for a current list you can contact us at 1 866 853 8646 or by email at

The new online pesticide applicator continuing credit database is now fully operational and available through your Internet connection.  This system will allow applicators to review and make changes to their contact/mailing information, review their certificate information and check their accumulated recertification credits.  Nine digit student ID number is required along with your applicator certificate number to register.  Call or email Lakeland College Pesticides if you do not have your student ID number.

Where can I go to get credits for recertification?
Anytime a session is approved for credit, it is added to a list on Alberta Environment's website.  It is updated frequently so it is most beneficial for applicators to check it regularly at  Applicator Recertification

Why was my certificate not issued for a full five years?
Your Commercial Applicator and Dispenser certificates expire on your birthdate. 
If you were certified by writing one of our exams, we issue the certificate for between 4 and 5 years depending on your birthdate and when you wrote your exam.
If you were certified in another province and got reciprocity in Alberta, we were not able to extend the expiry date beyond that of the original certificate.  Your Alberta certificate will expire on your birthdate before the expiry date of the original certificate.
I already have an Applicator certificate, how can I add another class to it?
All you have to do is write the exam for the class of certificate you would like to add.  You do not have to re-write the core portion of the exam,  A list of the home study lessons you will need to study can be found here.  To schedule an exam please call 1 866 853 8646.
I am a Pesticide Applicator and I would like a Dispenser certificate, what do I have to do to get one?
We can issue a Commercial Dispenser certificate based on your Applicator certificate by submitting an application form.  The Dispenser certificate will expire on the same day as your Applicator certificate. 
I need a Structural certificate but you don't offer the program, how can I get a Structural certificate in Alberta?
You have a few options for a Structural certificate:

One is to take the Perdue University Pest Control Technology correspondence course.  This is an American course, so you will still have to write the Nafta Core Exam to be certified.  To contact Perdue, call (765) 494-2748.

We also recognize Structural certificates earned in Saskatchewan and British Columbia.
Contact information in Saskatchewan - (306) 787-4662
Contact information in BC - (250) 356-0475

Once you have earned the certificate somewhere else, you will need to apply for Reciprocity
I have changed my name since my certificate was issued, how do I get a certificate with my new name on it?
You will need to complete the  Request for Name Change form.; and if you wish to have your new name on your certificate then submit an application for a replacement certificate.  The name change request will be processed in the Registrar's office.  Once your name has been changed in our system, the Pesticides office will process a new certificate for you if you have submitted an application for a replacement certificate.  The process can take up to a 2-4 weeks.
Purchasing and Using Restricted and Commercial Pesticides
Pesticide Use - about who can purchase and use restricted and commercial pesticides.
Bookmark and Share

Last updated on