Student-Managed Farm 30th Anniversary
- follow the timeline (above)
- watch the video (below) tracing the history of Lakeland's SMF. As well, it lays out the student-managed concept and how it's grown and become part of the Lakeland culture.
- check out some of major the SMF accomplishments in an infographic (bleow the video)
- see a visual comparison between the SFM then and now (below the video)
- read the SMF overview to learn more about its structure and units
The 30th anniversary of our SMF is a chance to celebrate the roots of a highly successful and rewarding work integrated learning model. Our graduates are set apart by the real-life work experience and valuable leadership skills they gain through this concept. We’re proud of our SMF and our exceptional team who ensures its continued success.
We look forward to celebrating new student-managed innovations on the SMF that support one of Canada’s most essential industries.
Dr. Alice Wainwright-Stewart, president and CEO of Lakeland
The real value in the SMF is that it integrates business and management, production and soft-skills training in a real-world model. The students have a high degree of accountability in meeting key performance indicators and working with a team. They have a sense of ownership towards the business. It’s so rewarding to watch the students advance their leadership skills.
Josie Van Lent, dean of Agricultural Sciences