Co-op Internship - Employer Information
Are you interested in hosting a co-op placement?Benefits for employers:
- source extra skills and resources
- free senior staff from day-to-day work loads
- develop your mentoring and evaluation skills
- groom potential new recruits
- grow your organization
- keep up with your competitors
Support we provideThe Lakeland co-op internship committee oversees all placements and assists students and employers.
- We prepare all candidates with pre-employment workshops.
- Employers select candidates on a competitive interview basis.
- Employers are under no obligation to accept any candidates interviewed.
- We consult employers in monitoring and evaluation procedures.
- The internship coordinator visits all internship locations.
What's required from employersOur first priority is the welfare of our students. We require employers to ensure:
- a physically safe working environment
- appropriate management devoid of bullying or abuse
The co-op aims to provide students a working professional insight. This is achieved by:
- providing a suitable role with real work responsibilities
- setting up a mentoring system and evaluating student performance
- orientating the student to the bigger picture
- email Brandi.Mandes@lakelandcollege.ca
- call toll free 1 800 661 6490 ext 5755
- call direct in Lloydminster 780 871 5755.
What Employers Say
|Meyers Norris Penny (MNP) LLP|
|“Our goal was for Kelly to experience what it’s actually like to do the job on a day-to-day basis so she has a well-rounded perspective of accounting. Kelly was great. She’s a positive person and she fit really well into our organization. We’re already talking about bringing her back.”
MNP Senior Manager
|Lloydminster and District Co-op|
|“It was our intention for the placement to be productive for both student and employer. We challenged Kirsten to make the most of the placement and we could not have hoped for a more proactive student. As a co-operative organization it is part of our values to reach out and work with academic partners in our region. A placement student can provide summer vacation cover or enable permanent staff to be assigned to other projects. Our experience is that the students are very focused and can be taught to be dedicated to the brand we’ve established. It challenged my ability to mentor. It was important to strike a balance between challenging our student's initiative to contribute, with providing support to ensure they could succeed and build confidence.”
Lloydminster and District Co-op marketing and communications manager
|City of Camrose Assessment|
|“We believe in helping people learn more about the industry and giving them a chance to gain experience. (Assessment) is a niche industry. We have challenges attracting people into the industry but once they’re in the field they realize the job is interesting and varied, the employment rate is high, and the salary is very competitive. We have two previous summer students that are now assessors in the County of Camrose. I have no doubt Thomas will have a successful career as an assessor.”
Senior Assessor at City of Camrose Assessment