High school diploma with a minimum of 70% in English 30-1 or 80% in English 30-2.
- Advanced American Sign Language (ASL) skills
- An understanding of the Deaf community and the field of signed language interpreting
- criminal record check (with a vulnerable sector check) is required and you are responsible for requesting one through the RCMP in your hometown. The cost may vary.
- A Child Interventions Records System (CIRS) check.
- For those who have graduated from the province of Quebec and obtained a Secondary School Diploma (DES), completion of “Language of Instruction from Secondary V” is required.
The best way to get these skills and knowledge is through our American Sign Language and Deaf Studies
certificate or an equivalent program.
A selection process will also be used to determine your eligibility for the program. This may include personal interviews, transition courses and other screening. You will be asked to show your ASL skills.
When you complete the requirements listed with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0, you will be awarded a Diploma in Sign Language Interpretation.